Today’s product is They’re Real mascara. Again, it’s a handy size (3g) and if I hadn’t opened it I would have packed it away in my suitcase.
Did you know mascara goes off? It actually has a very short use by date. Once you’ve opened it the clock starts ticking. Generally a mascara will last around 6 months from the date of opening but it really depends on usage. Sniff it every now and again. If it’s smelly, chuck it!
I’m not blown away by this mascara. I mean, it’s ok but just ok. It went on a little clumpy and I had to use a lash comb to separate my lashes, but the final look was ok. Here it is:
I’m obsessed with Bourjois Volume Glamour Ultra Black mascara and that’s a hard act to follow. It’s so easy to apply close to the lash line and really separates and volumises lashes. It’s the only mascara I’ve ever been really impressed with. They’re Real won’t be replacing it in my makeup bag I’m afraid.
Amazability factor: 5/10 (not bad)
Top tips for applying mascara:
- DON’T just brush the wand across the underside of your top lashes. So many people do just that and wonder why they can’t find a mascara they really like. It isn’t about the product – it’s about application. It’s easy to get into bad makeup habits and this is a classic.
- DO apply mascara by wiggling the brush from the base of your lashes to the ends. If you want a daytime look, you can just apply to the underside of your top lashes but it’s all about the wiggle baby! If you’re going for a more dramatic look, apply first to the top of your top lashes and then underneath. Don’t neglect your bottom lashes. If you just apply a touch of mascara there it really opens up your eyes. It’s also a simple little daytime to evening trick.
- DO get the wand as close to the lash line as you can. If you do it right you will find it looks like you’ve applied eyeliner to your upper lash line (I will get to that in a future post – it’s something lots of people would like to be able to do but think they can’t. Trust me – if I can, you can!)
- DO use your mascara wand to curl your lashes. If you apply one coat first you can use a second coat to curl. Just push your lashes up and away with the wand and hold for about 10 seconds, being careful not to smudge.
- DON’T wipe mascara smudges.
- DO roll a cotton bud in your usual foundation on the back of your hand and then roll it gently over any mascara mishaps. It will remove the smudge without messing up your makeup.
TA DA!!!!! You’re GOWGEOUS! ❤